nyanpi

Decentralized Tumblr w/ Monetization for Content Creators

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi all. After Lisk launches, I am planning to develop a tumblr-esque site with monetization/compensation for content creators.

First, some background. Tumblr is currently the most popular social network for young and unknown artists to share their work. I am also an artist with a relatively popular tumblr blog (around 7000 followers) and have been featured by tumblr a few times resulting in thousands of reblogs and likes on my work. However, as it currently stands, there are a few problems which tumblr artists face that could be solved by a decentralized blockchain-based solution like Lisk.

Current Problems With tumblr for Digital Artists

Censorship
As it stands now, tumblr is fairly lenient with what content is allowed on the site, but this could be changed at any time, effectively silencing a large number of tumblr artists. Since tumblr was purchased by Yahoo!, this threat is ever more pervasive although has yet to be a problem. Still, a decentralized solution that is guaranteed to be free from censorship would be preferred.

Content Theft
A common problem faced by many tumblr artists is blatant copying of work without due credit. In some cases entire blogs are copied and passed off as original work. I believe a blockchain-based solution could resolve this issue.

Compensation/Monetization
While the majority of tumblr artists (including myself) do the work they do for the love of the art and not for monetary compensation, we all want to be compensated for the time we put into our creations. By requiring users to pay a fee to Like or Reblog posts, with all or a large percentage of those fees going to the original content creator, this issue could be resolved and could revolutionize the online art market.
As it currently stands, an artist's only option to receive compensation for their work is to offer prints for sale or to offer up their services for commission. With this decentralized blockchain-based solution, artists can receive compensation directly correlated to the popularity of their work, and so-called "curating" users who enjoy reblogging the art they like can think of their own blogs as more of a "collection" of art they have actually purchased rather than simply copying the work they like without giving any compensation to the original content creator.

Conclusion
I believe that a tumblr-like social networking platform is the perfect choice for a blockchain-based, decentralized solution that could completely revolutionize this sector of social networking. Tumblr was acquired by Yahoo! for $1.1 billion, which may be an inflated value, but there is obviously a very large market to be tapped here. As Yahoo! and tumblr has yet to figure out how to monetize, this could also be a superior solution to the problem of how to monetize such a social networking platform without resorting to ads or other invasive procedures, as a percentage of all fees could go to running and operating the site.

Suggestions and critiques welcome. Investors also welcome. :)

max
CEO

Re: Decentralized Tumblr w/ Monetization for Content Creators

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 am

Personally, I would deliver a low quality picture + branding on your "Lisk-Tumblr" profile and offer a high quality version against payment. :)

I think this is the best solution. Would also be great for stock footage. That means you would have to combine your images with "tags", so that users can find them easier.
Please take a look at the Community Fund. It's an important project!

nyanpi

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Great idea Max. Really a great solution for photographers, for example, who rely on services like Flickr and the like who attempt to hide/obfuscate the high quality images but are in fact accessible if you know how to look through HTML/Javascript code.

With this solution, photographers or any content creator could opt to offer a low quality or sample version that could be downloaded or reblogged for free, but high quality or full version (for things like songs or albums) upon payment of a desired amount.

In this way the blogging platform becomes not only a showcase and social networking system but also a marketplace for content creators. It combines the best features of many different platforms with few or none of the downfalls.

max
CEO

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 pm

;)

For this to work the high quality picture link needs to be encrypted, and with the purchase the buyer gets the key for it.

FredDag
Lisker

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:50 pm

nyanpi wrote:Hi all. After Lisk launches, I am planning to develop a tumblr-esque site with monetization/compensation for content creators.

First, some background. Tumblr is currently the most popular social network for young and unknown artists to share their work. I am also an artist with a relatively popular tumblr blog (around 7000 followers) and have been featured by tumblr a few times resulting in thousands of reblogs and likes on my work. However, as it currently stands, there are a few problems which tumblr artists face that could be solved by a decentralized blockchain-based solution like Lisk.

Current Problems With tumblr for Digital Artists

Censorship
As it stands now, tumblr is fairly lenient with what content is allowed on the site, but this could be changed at any time, effectively silencing a large number of tumblr artists. Since tumblr was purchased by Yahoo!, this threat is ever more pervasive although has yet to be a problem. Still, a decentralized solution that is guaranteed to be free from censorship would be preferred.

Content Theft
A common problem faced by many tumblr artists is blatant copying of work without due credit. In some cases entire blogs are copied and passed off as original work. I believe a blockchain-based solution could resolve this issue.

Compensation/Monetization
While the majority of tumblr artists (including myself) do the work they do for the love of the art and not for monetary compensation, we all want to be compensated for the time we put into our creations. By requiring users to pay a fee to Like or Reblog posts, with all or a large percentage of those fees going to the original content creator, this issue could be resolved and could revolutionize the online art market.
As it currently stands, an artist's only option to receive compensation for their work is to offer prints for sale or to offer up their services for commission. With this decentralized blockchain-based solution, artists can receive compensation directly correlated to the popularity of their work, and so-called "curating" users who enjoy reblogging the art they like can think of their own blogs as more of a "collection" of art they have actually purchased rather than simply copying the work they like without giving any compensation to the original content creator.

Conclusion
I believe that a tumblr-like social networking platform is the perfect choice for a blockchain-based, decentralized solution that could completely revolutionize this sector of social networking. Tumblr was acquired by Yahoo! for $1.1 billion, which may be an inflated value, but there is obviously a very large market to be tapped here. As Yahoo! and tumblr has yet to figure out how to monetize, this could also be a superior solution to the problem of how to monetize such a social networking platform without resorting to ads or other invasive procedures, as a percentage of all fees could go to running and operating the site.

Suggestions and critiques welcome. Investors also welcome. :)

I'm definitely interested in the possibility of getting involved with this project.
It is somewhat similar to the monetised community project that I have been working on.
Perhaps the two projects are similar enough that they might benefit from working together?
I'm off to work now but will aim to follow-up on this later.

Greys0n

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Tumblr is very popular nowadays. But it needs some upgrade. I for example make money on blogging. I monetized my travel blog with the help of affiliate program. I must say monetizing is a really good idea to earn easy money.

max
CEO

Thu May 05, 2016 4:54 pm

ttookk
Lisker

Thu May 05, 2016 6:17 pm

I like it! (although I'm getting tired of this "hand drawing pictures" videos…)

Since you are on it already, you could create a Stock-Photo/Stock-Art section as well. Like Getty Images on crypto.

DivenParker

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 am

That's a good ideal, Tumblr is a popular social network .And your ideal is suitable for some other social network like Facebook, Instagram, Passfeed and Twitter.

Return to “Blockchain Applications”