MalReynolds

Introducing the Global Delegate Team (GDT)

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 pm

I would like to introduce you to the Global Delegate Team, or GDT.

Back in early April, I saw a disturbing apathy among Lisk members:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic ... sg14422365

So I did something. I made a call for Standby Delegates to participate in the Lisk 0.1.X and 0.2.X testnet activities:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=258

Did YOU respond? Many individuals DID! And we ALL supported Lisk by helping to test its critical 0.1.X and 0.2.X code versions before launch!

Working together to support Lisk before launch has made us feel close to one another. So close that we now feel like a team. And we have given our team a name: The Global Delegate Team, or GDT. We come from all over the world…..

http://imgur.com/hRaVDH3

….and we are spread across almost every time zone, so we help to monitor each other’s nodes around the clock….

http://imgur.com/YrfrFR2

GDT is not some greedy mastermind, working against the decentralization of Lisk with a secret network of sock puppets. GDT is not a bunch of rich whales, trying to use their big stacks to bully their way into the top forging slots. GDT is a group of proud, technically-oriented individuals from all walks of life with a representative distribution of Lisk holdings….

http://imgur.com/AiSwQQy

GDT formed early to help Lisk during its critical testnet period.

http://imgur.com/QRoetw9

Now we need your help to continue supporting Lisk in mainnet.

When you look at the long list of 500+ Standby Delegates, how do you pick who is worthy of your vote? Is that name you’ve never heard of a sock puppet? Some rich guy? Somebody with no real technical experience in actually running a node?

Please vote for our group of proven GDT Standby Delegates listed below. We have the best interest of Lisk as our primary concern. We all have hot nodes running right now, ready to support the Lisk backbone in mainnet. We proved that we know how to run these nodes over the long term in testnet. Now we want to be your net.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

We are the individuals of GDT. And we thank you for your votes!

TheRedHawk
Lisker

Re: Introducing the Global Delegate Team (GDT)

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Nice exposition Mal, I liked it a lot.

With your permission, I'm adding another main thing about GDT: some of us are not only protecting and securing the Lisk mainnet trough decentralization via running a strong node, but also actively developing great apps to be released in the coming future.

With the forging funds, some of us will be able to continue develop those apps, but in a full time basis. Which means best coding finish, best perfomance, and best look of the applications.

I'm an example of it: behind my delegate, there are a three people team, actively working in a blockchain application. We want to contribute in the expansion of Lisk ecosystem, bringing our app to the community at some point in the future. That's it.

Nothing more, nothing less :)

If you think it isn't worth it, I can't convince you in the opposite.

But if you agree with our vision and proposal, vote for GDT delegates!!

You won't regret it! ;)

See you around,
theredhawk

FOUNDER ::: BATTLECHAIN PROJECT ::: CFO/PR

CHECK THE APP THREAD

CHECK OUR CANDIDATURE

Phoenix1969
Lisker

Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I've been here arguably more than any other delegate working sleepless nights and learning everything Lisk; I also provide 6 high speed public portals 3 of them 10Gbps... yet I was unvoted by over 40 members "voting accounts" for complying with Lisk HQ wishes by abandoning private chats... Actions are speaking much louder than words.
I haven't unvoted these individuals .... YET. Nobody's perfect... I'm certainly not.
It's been several days since then, so I gave peeps a few days to think about it.
All I've seen so far is people dropping a dedicated Lisker for fat wallets and conspiring for more tycoons in private rooms.
This has not gone un-noticed by HQ if you read open chat.

Remember, actions always speak louder than words; and these actions are being observed not only by me, but by the entire community, including HQ.
I wish you all the best, and thank the individuals who kept me on their list... deeply appriciated.
Happy Lisking.
Vote for Phoenix1969

ntelo
Lisker

Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Hello all, i am here from the begining, working and learning with all GTD team, I AM PROUD TO BE ONE OF GTD , working also sleepless nights, making apps for the community, i wish i add more time to do all of my ideas,but for that i need more time and funds.
One thing is for shure... every menber of GDT, must work hard to keep their spot in GTD, if not it will be replaced by a peer more able!!! no one as his seat in GTD forever.

Thanks all for let me in, i will not let you down!!!, and a special thanks for Mal Reynolds for make it possible, and have the streanght to make GTD.

Nuno Telo(ntelo).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=188&p=1418&hilit=ntelo#p1270

redsn0w
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:59 am

Hi,

I'm very proud to me a member of the GDT team and I worked to maintain a node since the beginning of the public test (March 21st) Help the community on chat.lisk.io , collaborating to make lisk great.

Thanks to everyone !

redsn0w

viewtopic.php?t=185

carolina
Lisker

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:41 pm

I would like to respond to Mal Reynolds.

If back in April there was an alleged disturbing apathy in providing standby delegates (support for testing), then the reason for that would be that there was no recognizable call from official channels. If you do not have any official status (I checked that with you) then you cannot self-proclaim a call by you as having the significance of a deadline. A simple post in a forum does not necessarily have the effect of reaching out to people. Most were newcomers through the ICO. At that time an explanatory advertisement in official channels like the blog could have made a difference in this context. Nothing with that effect happened, while in that post you already anticipated some kind of seat placing that may happen. I recognize no efficient efforts from your side in acquiring a larger or more qualified group of prospective standby delegates at that time.

Then you allege that there was a lack of required support from community members in code testing, whereas in that post from April 8 there is no explicit mentioning or recognizable context of any requirement for testing. At that time the state of Lisk was unclear, and -given the pressure to launch it- it was effectively presented as being mature enough for production with no recognizable official call for help that I could find. It is further assumed that at that moment it was already clear within the Management that forging by community delegates was further down the line. The contribution of testing that some provided as standby delegates is unlikely in having had the importance that GDT is presenting it in regard to the priority of issues that the developer(s) had to fix at that time.

There is no white paper or any kind of concise information provided by GDT. It has no recognizable model of governance, and for what is known, a single individual is responsible for the list of members. Apparently, GDT is put together by a hierarchy of dependency and by threats, where one big vote in effect prevents a state of vote rotation with a view to bring the delegate selection into a dead-locked state forever. A case of collusion already occurred when an early participant in standby delegation became collectively unvoted for not obeying instructions.

GDT should be an issue of concern, and I suggest bringing it on the agenda for the next community meeting. In my opinion it invalidates the consensus model. I already addressed two fundamental concerns that I see to the Management.

sonobit
Lisker

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Yes, initially there was no "official call" from official channels. There was no advertisement, no top-down directive, No orders from the general. No-one's mom calling us to dinner. And there was no requirement for testing. Lisk was in its infancy and the future is unclear. No one knew if or when mainnet would launch.

So... Your point is?

Bottom line: Many of us realized what needed to be done and just did it. We collaborated, we built nodes (at a time when is was more difficult and processes were unclear). We spent an incredible amount of time and personal money and dove in head first. We built, destroyed, debated, rebuilt, forked, made backups, forked huge, unforked and maintained the belief that Lisk has a great future. GDT is not held together by threats. It is not a collection of big bag holders. The great majority of GDT members have small bags. The initial secrecy I feel in retrospect may have not been best, but we were (and still are) at great risk of being overrun by whales who would be able to set up a sock-puppet node army. We feel strongly that we represent a collection of individuals who are best able (and ferociously dedicated) to securing the Lisk network. I believe that this is the exact and inevitable outcome of DPoS. The top 101 will continue to change over time, and those who are in it will debate, collaborate, argue, vote and unvote continually. Balance will be achieved. The recent members to GDT are not just fat wallets. They are also competent. Fat wallets alone will not help the network.

In summary, why do we remember Sir Edmund Hillary? because he was there first.

P.S. Phoenix and Carolina, you both still have my vote.

carolina
Lisker

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:28 pm

I have as well voted you and many on the GDT list, got a few votes from them and had good communication with most...

Consensus and initial distribution is a difficult topic. With sock-puppets for each big vote they give there would be many votes to be given in return. This would rebalance the system in a way that it scales correctly. Unfortunately interests collide. If forging is the equivalent of mining and at some point money is pumped into a delegate race from outside then (I think) all of us are out of competition, but the price of Lisk will benefit. I believe that effect was desired with DPOS. If GDT dead-locks rotation and the delegate list becomes static, voting becomes bloat and that will cause irreversible damage.

techbytes
Lisker

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am

"May the Forge Be With You"

Return to “Delegates”