max
CEO

BlueYard in retrospect. Lisk founders first meeting.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Decentralized & Encrypted. That was the title of the first conference the Lisk founders ever attended. It was hosted by BlueYard in Berlin on June the 1st, 2016.

Over 150 people participated in the discussion about Bitcoin, blockchain, decentralisation, and the future of the internet. There was a heavy focus on application platforms, DAOs, and projects at the infrastructure level. It became clear that the industry as a whole still has a long way to go before it reaches mainstream user adoption.

We must learn to walk before we can run.

That idiom overshadowed nearly every project which was present in Berlin. It was said by Trent McConaghy, CTO at BigchainDB and IPDB, the InterPlanetary Database. In a very similar meaning Christoph Jentzsch, co-founder of Slock.it, said the same about The DAO which is a huge “experiment” according to him. In many panel discussions involving ERIS, ConsenSys, Ethcore, Lightning, Zcash, Blockstack, and IPFS it became clear that they have similar thoughts about their projects.

From a Lisk point of view
It was the first time since five months of daily work Oliver and I were away from our computers. A timeout needed to reflect on the past months, talk about the future, and actually meet for the first time ever.

On the morning of the conference Oliver and I met in Berlin to take the tram to the conference. After having worked together with Oliver for the past two years I felt immediately comfortable. Although we never met, we know each other quite well. A truly remarkable proof what technology makes possible nowadays.

Arriving at the conference we received our name badge and dived into the crowd. We talked with several people; amongst them entrepreneurs, research analysts, students, and developers. A lot of people knew Lisk, some didn’t, and a few even participated in our ICO.

There were a handful of technologies present which might be very interesting for Lisk, e.g. IPFS or StorJ. This however is only software we might consider to integrate into Lisk. More important was the insight we received from industry leaders and connections we built with bright minds.
One particular statement is still stuck in my mind and I will strive to apply it to Lisk.

As long as one person wants to use an app, it should still be online. Even if this one person has to take care of that.

How often we used a service which was shut down by its operators, today in the world of SaaS and PaaS this risk becomes even greater. Lisk should be a platform for apps which run infinitely.

Edward Snowden lectured us at the conference that information is power. Blockchains distribute the power and encryption secures the information. Both not only important elements in Lisk but also for the future of the internet.

With Lisk we want to upgrade the internet and take it to the next level. With over $8,000,000 in fundings and a great product we have a unique opportunity to do so. However, like others we must learn to walk before we can run.

Best regards,
Max Kordek
Please take a look at the Community Fund. It's an important project!

Return to “Events”